Children Issues and Services from sbA

The Family Law Act 1975 deals with all children’s matters except for where the State Department of Child Safety is involved.

Where the parents have agreed to arrangements for their children, they can enter into a Parenting Plan or have Consent Orders made.

Parents who separate and have children under the age of 18 have shared parental responsibility for their children.  This is not the same as equal shared parental responsibility.  However if a court is asked to intervene and make parenting orders, the Act imposes a presumption that parents will have equal shared parental responsibility for their children unless there are reasons as specified under the Act which do not make it to be in the best interests of the children for their parents to not have equal shared parental responsibility.

In determining what is in the best interests of the child, a court must consider the benefit of the child having a meaningful relationship with both of the child’s parents.

Equal shared parental responsibility does not mean the same as equal shared time that the child lives with a parent.  Equal time will result where parents agree or a court considers it in the children’s best interests for the children to live with their parents in an equal shared time arrangement.

The objectives of the Family Law Act 1975  are clearly set out in section 60B of the Act.

Not seeing your children can be heart-breaking. If you are having problems spending time with your children, then contact us straight away. We can assist you to be able to spend quality time with your children as soon as possible.

We can also assist you to work out other parenting issues such as living arrangements and child support. Parenting Plans can be an effective means of setting out your understanding of what arrangements are in place for your children and have flexibility as well.  Consent Orders are also an effective means of having more formal arrangements in place.

Family Dispute Resolution is an important first step in all children’s matters and we are able to guide and assist you and where necessary represent your views and wishes effectively.

sbA 475 Lutwyche Rd, Lutwyche QLD 4030 P: (07) 3359 2166